As a San Antonio Chiropractor, who specializes in injuries from auto accidents, I have treated many injured adults and children over the years. I have seen many scenarios where the person not at fault has come away from the crash scene and didn’t do all the things that are needed. If you are in a car accident, it’s important to take all the steps to ensure your safety and protect yourself from future legal and financial implications. Here are some general steps you can take:
1. Stay at the scene: Don’t leave the scene of the accident, even if it was just a minor fender-bender. Collect all the information that is needed, especially if you are not at fault.
2. Check for injuries: Check yourself and anyone else involved in the accident for injuries. If anyone is injured, call for emergency medical help immediately.
3. Call the police: Contact the police or local law enforcement as soon as possible, especially if there are injuries, significant damage, or if you suspect the other driver was under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Obtaining a police report can be helpful.
4. Exchange information: Exchange information with the other driver, including names, addresses, phone numbers, insurance information, and license plate numbers.
5. Take photos: Take photos of the damage to both vehicles, the location of the accident, and any injuries you or others may have sustained.
6. Contact your insurance company: Notify your insurance company as soon as possible about the accident. *Also, now that you are reading this blog post, it is a good time to call your insurance company, prior to getting in a car crash, to review your insurance policy and make sure you have adequate coverage. There are numerous examples of the at fault driver not having enough or ANY insurance.
7. Seek medical attention: Even if you don’t feel like you are injured, it’s important to see a doctor who is trained in diagnosing and treating injuries due to car crashes. Many times, significant injuries can present with increased symptoms days after the crash. Some injuries need to be diagnosed with x-ray or an MRI/CT scan. Seek care from a doctor who is trained in treating injuries from car crashes.
Remember, if you are injured or if you are unsure of what to do, it’s important to seek help from a qualified professional, such as a lawyer or a medical provider.
-Dr. Stadnik, a Doctor of Chiropractic, has an Advanced Certification through the Spinal Research Institute of San Diego for treating patients injured in auto accidents. His clinic is located in NW San Antonio, Align Chiropractic and Wellness. Give us a call for more information at 210-774-4861. https://alignchiroandwellness.com/schedule-appointment/